As Jamelia is confirmed as the 12th contestant on Strictly Come Dancing 2015, we've rounded up a list of fun facts about the Loose Woman panelist
The singer turned TV star has a string of hits to her name, including near-perfect pop song Superstar – but will she prove super on the Strictly dance floor? Only time will tell!
Her daughters don’t seem to think so, mind. Speaking about appearing on the show, Jamelia said: ‘My girls are huge fans of Strictly, but when I told them I was doing it they laughed as they know that dancing is not my forté!
‘The girls are amazing dancers though so I definitely want to learn a new skill so that I’ll be able to give them a run for their money, and end them teasing me once and for all!’
In anticipation of her hitting the ballroom, here’s six things to know Strictly’s latest star…
1. As her soft Brummie accent gives away, Jamelia hails from Birmingham, although her mother is Jamaican and her father is Zimbabwean. Whilst her relationship with her dad has been strained in the past, she is close to her mother and proud of her Jamaican routes, recentyl writing on Twitter: ‘Being Jamaican isn’t just a Nationality, it’s an experience, you have to Live it to understand it!!’
2. As a youngster, Jamelia would often to boast to her school friends that she would one day be a star – and that path was set on course when she signed her first record deal at the age of 15. But it would be seven years before she scored her first major hit, when single Superstar peaked at number three on the UK charts and went to number one in Australia.
3. As a singer, Jamelia has racked up a fairly impressive collection of gongs, with four MOBO Awards (including Best British Female 2004) and the Best Single Q Award for her hit See It In A Boy’s Eyes, a collaboration with Coldplay’s Chris Martin.
4. But it’s not just music that Jamelia has enjoyed success with; she’s also forged a TV career for herself. The star fronted documentaries Jamelia: Whose Hair Is It Anyway and Jamelia: Shame About Single Mums, and also appeared in an episode of The House That Made Me, which saw her return to the Birmingham council estate where she grew up. She was a judge on MOves Like Michael Jackson in 2009, and in 2013 was announced as the latest panelist on ITV chat show Loose Women.
5. Jamelia isn’t one to shy away from controversy. During her two years as a panellist on Loose Women, the star has faced criticism for voicing some strong opinions, including saying she didn’t think shops should ‘facilitate people living an unhealthy lifestyle’ by stocking plus-size clothes, and suggesting that mothers breastfeeding in public should cover up and do so ‘discreetly.’
6. The star is a single mum to two kids, daughters Teja, 14, and nine-year-old Tiana. Her eldest daughter’s father is music manager Terry Wallen, whilst Tiana’s dad is footballer Darren Byfield. Darren and Jamelia were married in June 2008, but filed for divorce just 17 months later.
Joining Jamelia under the Strictly mirrorball are Anita Rani, Jay McGuinness, Peter Andre, Ainsley Harriott, Jeremy Vine, Katie Derham, Daniel O’Donnell, Georgia May Foote, Kellie Bright, Carol Kirkwood and Anthony Ogogo.