Six-year-old Alfie suffered scarring after getting a Black Henna Temporary Tattoo on holiday

Natasha Hamilton has shared a shocking picture of scars incurred by her son, Alfie, after getting a black henna temporary tattoo on holiday.

The Atomic Kitten star and mum-of-four is now backing a national campaign warning of the potential dangers of getting, or allowing your children to get, one of the art fixtures applied to skin – as it ended poorly for her own son.

More: Natasha Hamilton reveals she wants a FIFTH baby – exciting! 

Read: All the Latest Celebrity News  

Natasha, 34, took her family on holiday to Morocco earlier this year, where six-year-old Alfie got a black henna temporary tattoo.

Upon returning, she found that his temporary markings had developed into a painful-looking scar, taking the pattern of the dye used for the tattoo.

Natasha Hamilton’s son, Alfie, suffered leg scars

Sharing the photo in an attempt to raise awareness and to help others to be cautious when trying black henna, Natasha said in a statement:

‘I am backing the British Skin Foundation’s #AvoidBlackHenna campaign as there needs to be a greater awareness of the potential permanent dangers posed by Black Henna tattoos.

‘Sharing my photograph of Alfie’s scarred leg will hopefully highlight these dangers and will act as a warning to parents who might not know the risks attached to these so-called temporary ‘black henna’ tattoos.

‘Having witnessed first-hand Alfie’s terrible reaction to Black Henna, it’s just not worth the risk of permanent damage and letting your children have one done at home or abroad.’

More: Kerry Katona wows with dramatic new look after fat-busting procedure 

Unlike other, traditional henna tattoos, many of the black henna temporary tattoos are made using PPD – a substance found in hair dyes – which is not legal for use in skin contact products within the European Union.

Dr Anjali Mahto, Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson reinforced Natasha’s words of warning, saying: ‘Black henna is well known to cause skin reactions and should be treated with caution, particularly in children.’

Hopefully Natasha’s picture gives some parents some food for thought as holiday season approaches; all at Now hope Alfie is doing okay.