Oscar Pistorius could be sent back to jail for 15 years
We’ve heard little of Oscar Pistorius‘ case in the past few months but on Thursday morning Reeva Steenkamp‘s family got the justice they have been fighting for as South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeals has found him guilty of murder.
Here’s everything you need to know so far…
- His previous conviction of culpable homocide over the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013 has been over turned.
- The Olympic runner could now be sent back to jail for at least 15 years.
- A panel of five judges said Judge Thokozile Masipa’s previous judgment against Pistorius was filled with ‘fundamental errors’.
- State prosecutors who lodged the appeal say Pistorius intended to kill Reeva and that she fled to a toilet during a row.
- Oscar denies deliberately killing Reeva, saying he mistook her for an intruder at his home.
- A murder conviction carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in South Africa, although Pistorius’ lawyers are likely to argue that his physical disability and mental stress should be considered as mitigating circumstances.
We’ll keep you updated.