As Mean Girls celebrates its TENTH anniversary, we bring you 20 little known facts about the making of the plastics
It’s been 10 years since The Plastics hit our cinema screens and we all started to think about wearing pink on Wednesdays.
IRL Regina George would probably have been knocked up years ago while Cady Heron would be working at some huggy, environmentally-friendly PR company.
Karen would probably be having the last laugh as Hugh Hefner’s girlfriend and we can only assume Gretchen would still be trying to make Fetch happen…
But while we’re feeling super old that Mean Girls is enjoying its 10th anniversary on 30 April, we also want to celebrate, so we’ve dug up 15 lesser-known facts that might still be able to surprise you…
1. Lilo was meant to play queen bee Regina George, but it was decided it would be better for her image to play the nice girl, leaving the villain role open for Rachel McAdams. Meanwhile Amanda Seyfried was initially in the frame for Lilo‘s character Cady Heron but ended up playing ditzy Karen.
3. Rachel won the role of Regina because feisty LiLo was actually SCARED of her. Mean Girls director Mark Waters reveals: ‘When Lindsay was acting with Rachel, she got very shy, because Rachel was older and a very accomplished actress. She’d come in the room and not talk to Lindsay – she was very focused. Lindsay kind of got nervous around her, and I thought that, more than anything, was going to be the deciding factor [in giving her the role] the fact that she affected Lindsay in that way.’
4. Many of the jokes in the movie might seem a little ‘odd’ – after the producers went to war with the ratings board to get a US PG-13 rating (equivalent to a UK 12A). When Karen slams Amber saying: ‘She made out with a hot dog’ it was originally meant to be ‘she gave a blow job to a hot dog’. Likewise in the original version of the script Gretchen was doing A LOT more than snogging Jason when Cady walked in…
5. Director Mark Waters revealed they only got the legendary ‘wide set vagina’ line past the censors after calling them sexist – because they let PG-13 Anchorman get away with an erection joke.
6. Cady’s love interest Aaron Samuels was nearly played by James Franco – after he screen-tested for the role! It eventually went to lesser known actor Jonathan Bennett. But in an interesting twist we learnt last month that James Franco actually bedded LiLo in real life – after he was listed on her now infamous sex list!
7. Say what?! The fan-favourite math tutor scene with Cady and Aaron doesn’t feature either Lilo or Aaron. Jonathan explains: ‘Because of scheduling Lindsay and I were never actually at the desks when we meet each other. It’s stand-ins.’
8. Tina Fey adapted the film from self-help guide Queen Bees and Wannabes. Rumour has it that she didn’t realise it was a guidebook with no fictional narrative when she signed on to the project with Paramount…
9. Plastics stick together! Both Amanda Seyfried and Jonathan Bennett, who played Aaron Samuels, went on to appear in 2004 cult series Veronica Mars. Jonathan then reunited with another former Mean Girl Gretchen, aka Lacey Chabert, in 2009’s Elevator Girl.
10. Director Mark Waters is the brother of Heathers‘ screenwriter Daniel Waters. The 1989 cult film Heathers, which starred Christian Slater and Winona Ryder, has been said to have bee a massive influence on Mean Girls. Although LiLo managed not to actually kill anyone of course…
11. The film was shot in Toronto, Ontario – a few miles from where Rachel McAdams was born. FYI, Rachel and her later real-life fiancé Ryan Gosling were both born in the same Ontario hospital.
12. Lacey Chabert, who plays Gretchen, was the original voice of Meg Griffin in Family Guy before Mila Kunis took over in season two.
13. Obama is a Mean Girls fan! In August last year, the White House tweeted a photo of the first family’s dog Bo holding a tennis ball in his mouth with the caption: ‘Bo, stop trying to make fetch happen’ – a play on the infamous line in the film.
14. Art imitates life alert! In one scene home-schooled Cady gets really excited when she actually recognises a song that’s playing on the radio. The song is ‘Built This Way’ by Samantha Ronson – who LiLo ended up dating in real life four years later.
15. Blink and you miss him! Look carefully and you’ll spot Homeland’s Mike Faber, otherwise known as actor Diego Klattenhoff. He plays Shane Oman who gets caught in the BUFF!
17. We all loved it when Cady broke her crown into pieces and threw it to her friends. And it seems Jennifer Lawrence did too! After her First Wives Club reference at the Oscars, Jen proved herself a Mean Girls fangirl as well when she picked up the Best Actress gong at the 2013 People’s Choice Awards. Jen raved: ‘Thank you so much, Thank you fans, thank you. I wish this was like Mean Girls and I could just break this up and throw it at all of you, because you’re all responsible.’
18. Lizzy Caplan, who played Janis Ian, dated Matthew Perry for six years from 2006 to 2012. Janis and Chandler making out? That’s awesome…
19.Embarrassing much? Despite being a massively famous movie actress, Amanda Seyfried Tweeted that photographers had confused her with Mean Girls co-star LiLo at Newark airport last year. Amanda previously described LiLo as having gone ‘a little nuts’. Guess that’s one description!
20.Finally Tina Fey has confirmed that there WILL be a Mean Girls musical – written by Kathy Griffin… So maybe Fetch will happen after all…
What was your favourite Mean Girls moment? Tweet @nowmag