Actor tells of hospital blunder

Dennis Quaid has told of the horrific hospital error that nearly killed his newborn twins last year.

Son Thomas Boone and daughter Zoe Grace nearly died at Los Angeles’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after mistakenly being given an overdose of the drug Heparin.

‘The nurse didn’t bother to look at the dosage on the bottle. It was avoidable, completely avoidable,’ the actor tells TV show 60 Minutes.

‘Our kids are bleeding from every place that they’ve punctured. It was a life-and-death situation.’

Dennis, 53, and wife Kimberley are angry that lethal medical mistakes are routinely covered up.

‘100,000 people a year are killed in hospitals by medical mistakes.

‘It’s bigger than AIDS. It’s bigger than breast cancer. Yet, no one seems to be aware of the problem.’

The twins – who are now 4 months – have now fully recovered.