Cory was found dead after 'most tragic accident'

Cory Monteith died from an overdose of heroin and alcohol, an autopsy has shown.

The actor – who was found dead in his hotel room in Vancouver, Canada on Saturday – passed away from a ‘mixed drug toxicity’ in what the British Columbia Coroners Service have called a ‘most tragic accident’.

Police spokesman Constable Brian Montague has also revealed: There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose.’

It’s believed that Cory, who was just 31 when he died, took heroin when he was alone in his hotel room.

The Glee star spent time in rehab for substance abuse in April and previously admitted that he first received treatment for alcohol addiction at the age of 19.

Cory’s girlfriend and co-star Lea
Michele
, 26 – who stood by Cory during his stint in rehab earlier this year – has released a statement since the cause of her boyfriend’s death was announced.

Lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she’s received from family, friends, and fans,’ her rep tells People.

Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them.

They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. We continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of Lea and Cory’s family.’

SEE PICTURES Stars react to death of Lea Michele‘s Glee co-star boyfriend Cory Monteith

SEE PICTURES Cory Monteith in celebrity deaths 2013

SEE PICTURES Cory Monteith and the cast of Glee

Anna Francis