I'm just over 3 months pregnant too - here are the 10 fashion commandments I've learnt to flatter your bump
I have a confession: I’m completely obsessed with Kate Middleton‘s bump.
No need to call security, I have my reasons.
You see, like Kate, I’m slightly over three months pregnant and I’ve started to develop what can only be described as a Sunday roast belly’.
You know that round tummy you get when you’ve just consumed a chicken roast with ALL the trimmings, followed by a second helping and then topped it off with a sticky toffee pudding?
Well, that’s me. Except mine’s got a baby inside it (as well as the chicken roast, sticky toffee pudding…).
Don’t get me wrong, I’m delighted to have a growing tummy – knowing my baby is getting bigger is the most exciting thing in the entire world – but I’ve been having serious fashion dilemmas.
My bump is too small for me to start rocking figure hugging maternity wear but too big to wear clingy tops without looking a bit like ‘who ate all the pies?’.
So every time Kate Middleton goes out with her bump (and so far that’s been, um, once) I make a note of what she’s wearing – did you see the way she accentuated her waist with a black band round her burgundy dress? Smart.
But considering K-Mid isn’t getting out much at the moment (please leave the house K-Mid, I neeeeed you), I thought it was time I consulted some other people for some fashion advice.
So, after stalking the most stylish celebs to check how they dressed when they were at this stage in their pregnancies (Fearne Cotton, Reese Witherspoon, Sienna Miller and Claire Danes, I mean you) and also asking Now’s Style Editor Alison Tay for tips – here’s a list of the 10 items of clothing I reckon you need in your wardrobe right now.
Kate, I hope you’re taking notes too…
1. A boyfriend blazer – they flatter your figure and also carefully skim your growing tummy. I love this black one from Topshop.
2. A statement coat – What’s not to like about Fearne’s dog tooth short coat from her fashion range for Very. And the best news? It’s currently in the sale! Click here
3. Love a high street dress? Buy it, but just a couple of sizes bigger – Now’s Style Editor Alison Tay says: Fearne Cotton and Abbey Clancy have both told me they shunned maternity wear through their pregnancies in favour of high street chic in a size or two up.’
4. A bold print dress – From top-to-toe floral to bold green graphic prints, Fearne made prints her best friend when her bump first started to show.
5. A circular skirt – Alison says: This season’s high-waisted circular skirts will camouflage a tiny bump. Team with a punchy colour block top to pull focus up.’
6. A block colour dress – Reese Witherspoon kept things simple but punchy in the early stages of her pregnancy with a hot pink dress. This spring’s minimal fuss-free silhouettes are baby mamas’ best friends,’ says Alison.
7. An LBD – That stands for Long Black Dress. Sienna Miller looked stunning in this simple black gown.
8. You CAN still wear heels! – Make like Fearne (pictured in the gallery above) in a pair of these stud block boots
9. If you buy one maternity item, make it a pair of jeans – Clare Danes looks gorgeous in her indigo jeans. I’m still on the hunt to find mine…
10. Be brave with accessories – I LOVE a statement necklace and, bonus, it helps draw the eye up away from your midriff. Fearne was regularly pictured clutching a cake tin – I think I need one of those too.
And another thing… Don’t lose your fashion identity – My best advice for mums to be, including you and Kate, is to stay true to your own fashion personality, and don’t feel you have to smock-up your style,’ says Alison.
* Have you got any tips? I’d love to hear them
SEE PICTURES Kate Middleton plays hockey at her old school